6.22.2014

THE FAULT IN OUR STARS REVIEW

I found this photo here
(I read it on my computer so I can not take a photo sorreeh)


After spending more than a year hearing everyone talking about how "incredible", "wonderful", "amazing", etc., that book was, I FINALLY READ THE FAULT IN OUR STARS. It was really important for me to read the book before watching the movie (it came out on June the 6th in the USA but only comes out on August(us haha i'm so funny) the 20th in France). So, after three days of almost non-stop reading, I can finally tell you... IT'S ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS I'VE EVER READ. I'm literally speechless.
First of all, if you haven't read the book (I hope you have though), here's a (very) little summary:



Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel’s story is about to be completely rewritten.



To be honest, when I finished the first chapter I wasn't really enthusiastic because the relationship between the two main characters (Hazel and Augustus) was moving too fast in my opinion. However, as I continued to read, all my senses slowly started to develop through Hazel and Augustus adventures and I couldn't think about anything else but reading. Chapter after chapter, everything on my mind was TFIOS related.

There is particularly one character I wanted to talk about in this review: Isaac.
People who know me know that I have this awful habit to get incredibly attached to minor characters (Isaac isn't what you could call a minor character though) in any kind of tvshow, movie or book. So, naturally, I have loved Isaac the minute he met Hazel for the first time and I was moved by his story although I was sad we hadn't the chance to know more about him.


Obviously, Isaac wasn't the only character I fell in love with. Let's take a minute to talk about Augustus Walters, okay? Okay. (heeey see what I did here). At first, he seems like the eternal bad boy all flirty and stuff but slowly we discover what his disease made him go through which makes everyone love him even more. In my point of view, his weakness is one of the most beautiful and rough thing about the entire book.
These imperfections in the characters make them real, we can easily relate to them thanks to their weakness and it's one of the things I liked the most in the book.



I also liked the book for his originality. It is not the happy-ending kind of book; the end is surprising and unexpected. Furthermore, cancer is one of the most expanded diseases in the world and it's important to me that people discuss it, that it doesn't become a taboo as AIDS was before and, somehow, still is.

Anyway, I hope you'll read the book if you haven't yet and you'll enjoy it as much as I did. I'm looking forward to watching the movie and I may do a review to tell you what I thought of it.



Love, 

J.

PS: If you haven't read the book yet, DO IT. PLEASE. 






No comments :

Post a Comment